Header Image - Heike Schaefer

The first coral is framed!

After a long time I did something different. No quilting, no patchwork.

 

Freehand machine embroidery

 

This Sea Star Coral is freehand machine embroidered.

 

DSC_0120

2011 I was with my partner for 9 months sailing in the Pacific Ocean between New Zealand and Australia. We visited Fiji, Vanuatu, The Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea before we reached Australia. We cruised the Australian coast and then returned home via Lord Howe Island.

On this trip we snorkeled nearly daily and with an underwater camera I took lots of photos. Now I start to reflect on some of the pictures I collected.

another quilt is ready

This applique was a challenge. The customer had the ready quilt top sitting on a shelf for nearly 2 years. So already some parts were faded. The sun in New Zealand is not very polite to the fabric. And she also had hardly enough fabric for the backing. At the end I had just 2cm fabric left over. But the result of the quilting made the customer very happy.

DSC_0126

For the side border I choose a floral design

DSC_0118

For the geometric design I choose a continous line quilting

DSC_0122

DSC_0119

The design for the background is a McTavishing.

DSC_0129

 

DSC_0127

 

 

2nd day

Yesterday I took the machine home to the hotel from the classroom. Ending at 4pm was to early for anything: food, sleep and too late for going to the beach. And my head was still full of ideas. So I sat down in the hotel room and sew for another 2 hous. And the same this morning. I hope the rooms are well insulated, so that the neighbours could still sleep.

 

The day in the class was then busy with sewing. Could finish quite a lot of my designs. Twice today I had to change the needle in the machine. It is really needle consuming to sew on watersoluable fabric.

But I have to say ;Iam happy with the result. The progress in the afternoon was really remarkble. I am happy how the sewing came out. After putting yesterday the embroidery in resene, we mounted today the disolved embroidery for framing. After the mounting the picture is really fragile. So I only looked how to do it and will do it, when I am backk in NZ.

 

Now it is early enough to sew a little bit more in the hotel room. I really have to try something special.

See you tomorrow!

1st day

So that was the first day of the seminar. Sorry, the hotel computer doesn’t allow to upload photos. So you have to wait till I am home on wednesday.

 

Today we made the first steps into the technic of stitching to water soluable material. Because I did know the technic I directly hopped into the real work. Did different samples.

Parallel to the stitching we learned how to use resene. Some of the embroiderywork will be set into resine. Others will be mounted onto special paper background. Then it can be framed afterwards.

I am always asthonished how many people come to a class (not cheap) and don’t know how to handle their machines. Or the machines haven’t seen a services for ages. Some students needed till luchtime before they could start to sew. Really unbeliveble for me.

After ending the class I was still in the mood to work more. So I took the machine to the hotel and sew for another 2 hours. I’ll show you the saples next week, when I am back home.

 

 

Have a nice evening. See you soon!